Tuesday, January 13, 2009

A Reason to Sweat...




Instead of huddling inside and hibernating until summer, this year, I'm taking Chicago winter by the balls. Full throttle. War time. In addition to Santa bringing me the warmest boots and coat available... I bought a monthly membership to Bikram Yoga Chicago on Clark Street.

Outside it may be 3 degrees (-7 wind chill), but inside the bikram studio temperatures start at 105 degrees Fahrenheit. For 90 minutes, any day of the week, I can immerse myself in complete and total heat. And 50 percent humidity. 

It's a little bit like heaven... and at times, quite hellish.

Doing stability poses while in this type of heat, you become completely aware of every muscle and every pore on your body. You experience your entire body as it cries out each and every toxin that you put in it. Or at least it feels that way. 

Like sitting in a steamer or hot bath for hours, you begin to prune after about 40 minutes.

Basically, it's so damn hot you really can't think of anything else. You're able to completely block out winter. After about 15 minutes, you find yourself unable to focus on anything but the waterfall of sweat pouring down your back... in your eyes.... down your legs... and, of course, your breathing so you don't end up throwing up or passing out. 

Despite what might sound like a displeasing experience, it actually is quite a stress reliever. 

And an added bonus, there are seriously hot shirtless men with unbelievable bodies glistening in front of you the entire class. Who says you have to hide behind parkas all winter?

Anyone else a bikram yogi?? Hate it? Love it? Tell me about it...

2 comments:

Cassie on January 14, 2009 at 11:51 AM said...

After getting over the initial shock of how miserable I was, I found hot yoga to be very thearapudic and cleansing.

In fact, I feel like amazon woman when I leave that place!

Colleen on January 14, 2009 at 11:13 PM said...

Ha... yes, I think Amazon is the best word to describe how you feel after class... or relief... I'm also was freaking sore today... who knew yoga could be so strenuous...

My Peeps

 

A Sip of the Second City Copyright © 2009 Cosmetic Girl Designed by Ipietoon | In Collaboration with FIFA
Girl Illustration Copyrighted to Dapino Colada