Friday, January 30, 2009

The Counter



Although Social Media-phobe may have had small -uncalled for- melt down last night... prior to doing so, he picked a fabulous dinner spot: The Counter.

Never had I ever been to this gem, which sits between Matisse (love it!) and the million random mattress stores located on Diversey in Lakeview/Lincoln Park.

I loved the low key, yet trendy, atmosphere. You walk in... and you're not sure if you're at a hip bar -with the back-lighting and garage-like windows- or a 70s diner -with vintage photos and diner-type seating. 

Overall, a perfect pick for a second date... Clearly stating you're a low-key guy/girl (weed out the high-maintenance ones)... with good taste (literally).

The menu is the interesting part. You build your own burger. Typically, I hate when I have to make too many choices (cafeterias are my nemesis)... but this was kind of fun.

And... the waitress asks you questions like, "do you want a milkshake or a glass of wine?" The fact that they offer both is FAB.

Rumor has it that it's Oprah's fav burger joint... and I think I might just agree with O-dog this time.

My burger of choice? I went with the turkey burger, with pepperjack cheese, some type of corn salsa, southwest sour cream on a wheat bun. And for a side, a mix of regular and "sweet" fries.

Ever been? What were your thoughts?

2 comments:

DML on January 30, 2009 at 4:15 PM said...

OBSESSED. Love the sweet potato fries/onion strings combo. And I went once in November and had a pumpkin pie shake. This place is delish and everyone should go.

For a more traditional burg...Five Guys. You know I'm also obsessed with that place!

Colleen on January 30, 2009 at 7:37 PM said...

Yes! I totally need to try Five Guys... we need to plan a date there!

My Peeps

 

A Sip of the Second City Copyright © 2009 Cosmetic Girl Designed by Ipietoon | In Collaboration with FIFA
Girl Illustration Copyrighted to Dapino Colada