Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Best TV of the Decade



Throughout the day I often re-tweet (RT) interesting posts from media outlets, friends and bloggers. You really don't know if they appreciate your Twitter pimps, so today when @Metromix sent out a link to their Top TV Shows of 2000s, specifically calling me out knowing I would enjoy it... I have to say, I felt pretty freaking sweet. THANKS @Metromix!

Especially because I DID enjoy it. I can't get enough of the end-of-the-year countdowns. Here's their list - with my commentary - and then my additions. Hey, this is MY blog. What did you expect?! I did include the link as well so you could check out what they did say.


21. Extras (HBO) Not going to lie. Never watched it.
20. LOST: Definitely had a binge LOST weekend with my friend Cristy the summer of 2005. We lived with a couple that worked at Blockbuster. We have been hooked ever since. Can't wait for the beginning of the end!
19. 24: Around the same time I became addicted to LOST, 24 was all the rage. At that point, I didn't feel like I could commit to two intense shows. And, like Harry Potter, because I didn't jump on the wagon soon enough... I surrendered to be out of the loop on this one.
18. Amazing Race: Love it. Agree... also reminds you that you need to travel with someone before marrying them...
17. Top Chef: Given I'm in food PR, I've stalked this show more than I would have liked... but they have used more than one of my products, so I'm a fan!
16. House M.D.: Hmm... nope, never watched it.
15. Friday Night Lights: Heard this was amazing. On my list of shows to watch.
14. Battlestar Gallactica: Really? really? I'd like to agree to disagree.
13. American Idol: Yes. yes. and yes. This is a show that became a power brand in the past 10 years. They will be talking about this phenomenon in television history classes years from now.
12. 30 Rock: Hilar.
11. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia: A friend introduced this one to me... and ever since the wine-in-a-can episode, I've been hooked. It's the Seinfeld of the 00s.
10. Wonderfalls: No idea.
9. The Office: YES! I buy "The Office" desk calendar every year... because there's nothing more funny to me than random and awkward office dynamics.
8. Curb Your Enthusiasm: Funny stuff.
7. Undeclared: Never saw it.
6. Summer Heights High: Never saw it.
5. Arrested Development: Good.
3. Mad Men: Yes! Love watching agency life in the 60s.
2. The Wire: Never saw it.
1. The Office (UK): Heard it was even funny than the Scranton, NY version. Brits are just funny. I believe it..

Shows this list did not include that FOR SURE warrant mention. Something tells me this list was created by men. I mean, beyond just the byline. Those are clearly Dude pics. Here's a woman's perspective.
*Gossip Girl - This may be a teenage melodrama filled with kids that are too rich and too old for their age, but this has jump-started all of those character's careers, created an over-sized following of all US Weekly readers and caused an avalanche of angry Mom blogs.
*Ellen - Not only has she won numerous Emmy's... she's just freaking funny... and married the prettiest lesbian in Hollywood. Power couple and power show.
*Sex in the City - How is this not on the list? It completely put Manolo Blahniks on the shoe map, made Starbucks a pop-culture icon and everybody's affordable luxury and popularized the Cosmopolitan drink. This for sure deserves to be top 5.
*To Catch a Predator: No one will ever welcome Chris Matthews into their home the same way ever again.
*Laguna Beach: Say what you will about "Laguna Beach"... I wasn't a fanatic, but I will give it credit in that the cast of those first two seasons created a monster of over-dramatized, over-soundtracked (?) reality shows that have lasted a decade.
*The Soup: What is "The Hills" without "The Soup"? Given the rise in reality shows this decade, "The Soup" presented the perfect comedic relief to balance all the crap that started appearing on our TV screens.
*The Bachelor: That show has been pimping out men and women to each other, on camera, forcing proposals (and later breakups) on camera. Success rate: 1.5 couples in 10 years.

What did I forget? Have to head to bed for my big trip to Minnesota tomorrow in the early AM...so help me fill in the rest...

2 comments:

Katie B. on December 11, 2009 at 5:31 PM said...

Friday Night Lights is the most underrated show. No one talks about it, and I swear it's way better than the other crazy dramas that get all the attention.

A couple other phenoms of 2000's...

Desparate Housewives- Those women were washed-up nobody's... now they are cougars in their prime.

Law & Order SVU- Longest running show in the decade. I'm obsessed.

The Biggest Loser- They made fat people cool again.

And although I'm so sad to admit it...

Hannah Montana- Little girls all over the USA can probably recognize Miley over the VP Joe Biden. Sad, but oh so true.

Colleen on December 13, 2009 at 12:23 PM said...

Good calls... and yes, I agree with your Miley Cyrus inclusion. Sad, but true.

My Peeps

 

A Sip of the Second City Copyright © 2009 Cosmetic Girl Designed by Ipietoon | In Collaboration with FIFA
Girl Illustration Copyrighted to Dapino Colada