Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Proud to be Irish Because...


In honor of St. Patrick's Day, I thought I'd reflect on reasons why I'm proud to be 95 percent Irish (dang rando German guy who squeezed into the family).
  • I have a reason for being pale... and sometimes I can get enough freckles to merge together to appear like a tan
  • I contribute to the 10 percent of the population that require SPF 60
  • I have the ability and excuse to hold a grudge for decades
  • I can (and have) convince(d) strangers that I was a professional Irish dancer as a child... River Dance is a hit at the bars circa 1 a.m.
  • My dark hair and blue eyes are au natural... and were there long before brunettes were the new blondes
  • I can tell stories that begin, "this one time when I was six and my grandpa took me to a pub dressed in all green..."
  • I went to an Irish high school for two years, and can say I not only knew, but was in the same class with three other Colleens
  • My native ancestors had awesome accents and beautiful country-sides
  • I'm probably weirdly related to that crazy dude who has searched his whole life for leprechauns
  • Everyone wants to be Irish today... 
  • Conan O'Brien is hilarious and so all Irish people must be funny, right?!
  • Green beer takes better than regular tap... unless served in May... it's happened before... great deal
  • Celtic crosses and jewelry
  • Luck o' the Irish isn't just a phrase... 
  • When Irish hearts are happy, all the world seems bright and gay -- When Irish eyes are smiling, sure, they steal your heart away
Are you proud to be Irish?! Tell me why....

6 comments:

PAT on March 17, 2009 at 11:27 PM said...

Don't blame our lack of pure blooded Irish ancestry on a male...just like you women...it was Great Grandma Agnes that tainted the gene pool with her pre-Nazi German blood : ) hehe

Katie B. on March 18, 2009 at 9:03 PM said...

I'm 0% Irish and don't own sunscreen over SPF 15... woo hoo! I do love green beer :)

Colleen on March 18, 2009 at 11:22 PM said...

Um... brother... please refrain from using the words "Nazi" in inappropriate ways on my blog and reading and commenting on my blog while intoxicated. Although I'm sure your intentions were great and I still encourage you to continue commenting... you may not be thinking through the follow-through of your well-thought out phrases. Thanks :)

Erin on March 19, 2009 at 4:34 PM said...

I love, agree with and can relate to everything about this post. Erin Go Bragh!

PAT on March 19, 2009 at 6:35 PM said...

ummm...sister...the use of the word pre-Nazi in this context refers to a time period when our ancestors left. It is not inappropriate because she was born with generation of German citizens that just happened to show a severe lack of judgment and behaved rather poorly. So when you say German ancestory you want to distinuguish a time period as not lump her in w/ that crowd. If you prefer next time I will rephrase as post-Prussian blood :)

Colleen on March 21, 2009 at 12:07 AM said...

brother... thank you for the clarification :)

My Peeps

 

A Sip of the Second City Copyright © 2009 Cosmetic Girl Designed by Ipietoon | In Collaboration with FIFA
Girl Illustration Copyrighted to Dapino Colada