Sunday, March 8, 2009

City o' the Irish



I've seen a lot of crazy things happen in Chicago around St. Patrick's Day. In many ways, in the past four years, March has been a bit of a bizarre-o month --which may or may not be caused by excessive amounts of green beer. But this weekend has to have hit a high on the rictor-crazy scale. 

Saturday afternoon, after a familiar Toro lunch, me and three of my friends braved the rain and trekked over to the one-and-only Duffy's for a St. Patty's Day party. This was no regular day drinking extravaganza... and no regular Irish celebration. When I asked what the specials were... my friend Alyssa informed me that her friend had actually RENTED the entire bar with his buddies. Not only was there no cover, it was free beer for ANYONE... absolutely no invitation need. Non-exclusive. Completely crazy. From 2 - 6 p.m.

As expected, the usual Duffster crowd was there... but with the added bonus of the most random collection of people I've ever seen at that bar. Once we found a spot to hang out far away from the intoxicated, completely non-Irish chica who thought it was okay to throw beer and literally mount guys while dancing, we had a great time.

The party was hilarious, but, as expected from any soiree at Duffy's, I do have a reaffirmed love for Galway Bay and Bridget's... the real Irish bars of Chicago.

Any other fun St. Patty's Day stories from the weekend? Let the countdown begin... 8 days!!


0 comments:

My Peeps

 

A Sip of the Second City Copyright © 2009 Cosmetic Girl Designed by Ipietoon | In Collaboration with FIFA
Girl Illustration Copyrighted to Dapino Colada