Friday, January 1, 2010

Korean-Style New Years Eve


Many New Years Eves have come and gone. They have involved champagne, noisemakers, sparkles and over-priced bar packages or house parties. Not much distinguishes one from the other. And since 21, many have followed with a day on the couch, nursing a notable hangover. Not one stands out from the others... until last night.

Last night, I traded in my much-sought-after Girl Talk ticket to attend my friend Cristy's birthday party at Korean Karaoke in Lincoln Square.

Let me set up the scene for you. This small establishment can be found in Lincoln Square... basically take Lincoln Ave and drive really really far away from the lake... and you'll eventually drive past it... most likely having to do a U-ey or two before you find it. You'll enter after locating the neon sign reading "Lincoln Karaoke." That's the name of the "bar."
It appears shady, a little like a mix between the DMV and a brothel... but don't be deceived, within each of the rooms contains two flat screen TVs that flash music lyrics and random pictures from Korea (i.e. butterflies, Koreans running, naked babies, etc), a few discos balls, hundreds of Korean and English-language songs.

For $15 a person, plus the price of drinks from the shared bar (with bartenders!), you can sing your heart out for six hours. And we did. I wasn't sure if I could sing karaoke and be entertained by it all night. But I can... and it was.
Maybe it was the great friends... or their great (er) voices, or maybe it was the full moon or the bubbly I was drinking... but as I counted down with the Koreans and my long-time friends, I had a great feeling about this year. If Korean Karaoke is any indication of the next 365 days, 2010 is going to be a memorable one.

Happy New Years everyone!



1 comments:

Andrea on January 7, 2010 at 4:08 PM said...

...and to think I lived in Chicago for 5 years and never knew about this place?! Happy 2010!!

My Peeps

 

A Sip of the Second City Copyright © 2009 Cosmetic Girl Designed by Ipietoon | In Collaboration with FIFA
Girl Illustration Copyrighted to Dapino Colada