Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Underground El: A Do or a Don't


Was riding the red line home tonight, and it dawned on me. As I'm headed south, once I pass the Fullerton stop, my level of anxiety rises. This could be because of several factors. 

Being that I spent the majority of the past four years in East Lakeview/Lincoln Park, I quickly became a bus girl. I take comfort in being in one car and an ear shot away from the CTA driver. I like being able pass bus stops if no one is getting off, or sitting somewhere that doesn't smell like pee or look like someone may or may not have puked on the seat in the past 24 hours. I like driving by the lake. I like having control over the pully-thing.

And the funny part is, I'm pretty sure I'm not alone. I'm not sure the Underground EL brings comfort to many people. As soon as the car descends into the creepy Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle tunnel, people don't know where to look. Their cell phones don't work - often the biggest issue in this whole ride home. They can't pass time by checking out scenery. Social normalcy is out the window if you don't have a book... or you can't just stare out into the bus car without feeling out of place.

What do you think? Will you admit it freaks you out just a little bit? Above ground El or bust? Who's with me!?

0 comments:

My Peeps

 

A Sip of the Second City Copyright © 2009 Cosmetic Girl Designed by Ipietoon | In Collaboration with FIFA
Girl Illustration Copyrighted to Dapino Colada