Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Invasion of the Midges




So it's no secret that I've been slacking on blog posts... I like to blame the fact that I quit a job, started a job and started dating someone all in the span of a month... not to mention the promise of summer and increased social obligations... but the truth is... I got a little lazy. And without bad dating stories, what is a girl to talk about?!

When one falls off the blogging horse... you need to find something particularly blog-worthy that might bring back maybe one or two of your readers... and I think I found it.

Picture this... Sunday night... relaxing in my newly cleaned (spotless) living room with my +1... when I look to the corner of the room only to notice a swarm of what-appears-to-be mosquitoes. (Cue music from Hitchcock's 'The Birds')

Within minutes both of us realize that the mosquitoes not only are in the living room but in the bedroom AND entry way. The apartment had been invaded by these tiny nat-thingys and the commissary downstairs which sells Raid closed approximately 30 seconds before this realization.

We spent about 20 minutes killing each and every one of them... by hand... and with the "help" of my oversized cat. Isn't bug-killing supposed to be feline instict?

So the interesting part of this story (as if it weren't captivating enough), is that they aren't mosquitoes at all!

After a call into management yesterday morning, I learned that every year, apartment buildings by the lake and in the loop get infested with these little nats called "midges." They have a 48-hour life span... and don't bite... but they do fly around your apartment and create nests in the corners, creating a lovely, "i-don't clean-my-apartment-for-months" look to the place.

They come in through the vents... through the screens.... through the walls. There's no rhyme or reason for how or why they come inside... but they do. Luckily, they should be gone by the end of the week. And if they aren't, the exterminator will make sure of it. In the meantime, management just suggested to "sweep the dead ones up." Sick. For real?

Given all the news coverage when the city thought they were going to be invaded by cicadas... I'm surprised to have no previous knowledge of this annual home invasion.

Anyone out there also sharing your apartment with these unwelcomed guests?

Do tell...

1 comments:

insignificance on July 16, 2012 at 10:08 AM said...

did they go away? last night to my horror i found myself in a similar predicament but didn't have the courage to destroy them because things that swarm in large numbers frighten me... instead i cowered in the dark and morning came and they had largely dispersed with a few dead ones hanging about in the corners of the windows of my apt near lake michigan. i'm wondering what to do or if there was an easier solution than meticulously offing them one-by-one as my ceiling is rather high....

My Peeps

 

A Sip of the Second City Copyright © 2009 Cosmetic Girl Designed by Ipietoon | In Collaboration with FIFA
Girl Illustration Copyrighted to Dapino Colada