Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Winter Woes...



Winter in Chicago: The closest comparison I have for purgatory; an eight-to-ten month waiting period until you can walk out of your apartment without five pounds of extra clothes and warming accessories.

I've never been one to embrace the chills of winter. Some Midwesterners get excited to break out the sweaters, to see their breath when they walk outside or to have an excuse to drink hot chocolate and snuggle up with a good book or significant other.

I, however, am one of the only people I know in Chicago who, up until this past August, refused to buy an air conditioner because I wanted to take advantage of all the fresh air and heat that summer naturally brought to my apartment. I enjoy ignoring the treadmills at the gym and running home from work or doing Saturday or Sunday runs by the lake. I'm not afraid of humidity, sweat, mosquitos and love to watch summer storms unfold from my cubicle and even wear my rain boots, when necessary.

I mean... how happy are we in that picture/J.Crew ad?! Really happy...

Tears came to my eyes this morning when I finally had to admit it was no longer summer, or even fall. I traded in my trench coat for the heavier, and brighter, tweed jacket accompanied with the obligatory hat, gloves and scarf. Even its cheery pink color and funny J-Lo-charmed label couldn't turn my frown upside down.

Listening to Avril's "Keep Holding On," I trudged to the bus stop. Her strong Canadian roots and punk-rock attitude gave me courage and vindication to stand at the bus stop as the wind tried to take the best of me and keep me from entering the now packed and over-heated 134 express bus.
I think it's worse knowing that it's not even technically winter. It's like getting a cramp the night before a big race... and just imagining how much pain your going to be in when you're running for hours and hours the next day.

So, in order to get over cramp before we start the race, I've listed out a few perks to this maddening and frustrating Chicago weather sent from Old Man Winter:
  • The first big snow... and how perfect everything looks under the city lights before it turns into that brown slush concoction of tar, dirt, dog pee and salt
  • Michigan Ave holiday lights and Christmas trees EVERYWHERE
  • The Christmahanakwanza Bar Crawl
  • The office holiday parties
  • Birthdays!!! And birthday parties...
  • Book club
  • Vacation days....Sanibel girls' weekend...spontaneous weekend trips AWAY from Chicago
  • St. Patrick's Day... South Side Irish Parade, dying the river green, green beer, Irish boys
  • Sunday Fundays
  • Weekends completely devoted to Hollywood Video and all the movies they have to offer
  • Getting reacquainted with the couch and DVR
  • Having another excuse to visit my fav dive bar -Galway Bay- to play darts and sit next to the fireplace with beer, free popcorn and friends
  • Corporate snow day e-mails... "if you feel that it's in your best interest to leave..."
  • Finally getting serious with my cat Moxie's lose-three-pounds workout/diet plan
  • Bring It On-athons
  • Facebook stalking
  • YouTube searches
  • Longer blog entries?
I'm feeling a little better... you? Going to look through my summer pictures, sniff suntan lotion and give myself paraffin treatments so my skin doesn't crack.

Stay warm!

C

Question of the day: What are you looking forward to this winter?



2 comments:

Debra Kanter on November 20, 2008 at 9:06 AM said...

What a good looking group of people...although I think I see bird poop on one of the girl's shirts...

DML on November 20, 2008 at 3:28 PM said...

It's hibernating season!

My Peeps

 

A Sip of the Second City Copyright © 2009 Cosmetic Girl Designed by Ipietoon | In Collaboration with FIFA
Girl Illustration Copyrighted to Dapino Colada