Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Grilled Cheese, Please


Grilled Cheese:  The scrumptious combination of two of my greatest loves... carbs and cheese...which plummeted down the list of items I could easily cook on the stove from scratch without a fire, stomach-wrenching disease or just immense disappointment. 

I used to consider grilled cheese as part of my golden five staple go-to dinners along with canned soup, pasta, salad-in-a-bag and, the trusted and loved, take-out. I'm considering adding in PB&J as a more reliant alternative.

I'm not one to boast about my cooking skills... but I can usually make one mean grilled cheese. Clearly I was getting over confident tonight as I mixed both shredded and sliced cheeses in my most valiant effort to just "wing it" with what I had in the refrigerator. With my first flip of the sandwich, cheese was everywhere, sizzling, burning and creating a weird, uneven cheesy cluster on only one side of the sandwich. 

There was no fire or burnt sandwich, but more chaos than necessary did ensue on a grilled cheese than ever before in my apartment. Enough to write a blog about it... while I'm actually trying to promote, and not detract people, from reading my random thoughts.

Read my blog... and I promise to grill you a golden brown grilled cheese with evenly-distributed melted cheese. Except my friend, Lauren, who's afraid of melted cheese. I will promise to never post a picture of melted cheese again.

Question: Worst cooking disaster... what is your grilled cheese? What did you think you mastered and then failed miserably? (Q... is this a good time to plug the Jennie-O Oven Ready turkey?? Let's test the powers of TruCast...)

3 comments:

Christina on November 20, 2008 at 10:01 AM said...

I heart grilled cheese. And PB&Js...that's our dinner of choice lately.

I feel like my worst cooking moment was last year's Tgiving turkey. Rob has been making the turkey at his parent's house for years so it was really his territory. He prepped it the night before and started cooking it at 10ish with the intention of eating dinner at 5...around 7 we finally said "i think it's cooked enough" and ate the turkey. Our turkey is going in at 6 am this year. There is nothing more terrible than people having to wait to eat their Thanksgiving meal.

Katie B. on November 20, 2008 at 12:50 PM said...

I was gonna have a turkey sandwich for lunch, but might have to switch up to grilled cheese after that post...

I'm not sure I could be more scarred than my childhood mistake of making lemon squares with cups of salt instead of sugar, but alas... recently I decided to make some shrimp pasta dish after a night of (heavy) drinking. I figured skipping the drive-thru window would be better for me, but instead I was left with some awful concoction that I eventually fed to the trash can. Needless to say, I had McD's bfast the next morning.

DML on November 20, 2008 at 3:28 PM said...

That grill cheese looks phenomenal. Yum.

Shockingly, I crashed and burned at homemade cookies two Sundays ago. You think it would not be that hard to follow the back of the Toll House chips bag. We ended up with a pan of cookies that never rose, didnt cook and instead sorta formed a glue to the pan. It was so sad. How?!

My Peeps

 

A Sip of the Second City Copyright © 2009 Cosmetic Girl Designed by Ipietoon | In Collaboration with FIFA
Girl Illustration Copyrighted to Dapino Colada