Monday, December 13, 2010

A Year In Review


December always brings moments of reflection. Because I try not to sugar coat my year-in-reviews, I confess that my yuletide greetings haven’t always started with cheer. In the same way, I will commend a year that has achieved a nearly perfect 10, earned a grade A and sent me into a state of elation at least once a month. I’ve coined 2010 as that year: THE BEST YEAR EVER. To honor this gold medal-worthy 365 days, I compiled a Top 10 of Colleen’s 2010 list (in no particular order)… Drum roll, please…

1. Started the year off by singing karaoke in Korea Town for New Years Eve. Leaving the Korea-inspired, frat-style establishment at 1 a.m. on January 1st, I thought… “If this is any indication of 2010, it’s going to be a memorable one.” And it was.
2. Left the can for the ‘sticks. Mid-March I step down from my throne as SPAM Queen at Burson-Marsteller to go to Edelman, a more consumer-focused PR agency. Now I get to indulge with those who live for the suburban pleasure of Olive Garden and never-ending soup, salad and breadsticks. I love every bit(e) of it.
3. Took on the serious self-titled role of dance floor coordinator at Marlene (my cousin) and Todd’s wedding. I think the pictures speak for themselves. ☺
4. Landed a book deal without actually having written a book -- which is insane and keeps me up at night with the fear it will be lamer than or as much of a mockery as Bristol Palin’s moves on Dancing with the Stars. Cross your fingers and mark your calendars – “Sweat, Tears and Jazz Hands”… coming to a bookstore near you, September 2011.
5. Fell in “like” with a Peruvian boy named Eduardo. Although, it ended unexpectedly via an email and drive through-style breakup, I was left with three bottles of excellent Lake Michigan Shore wine, a better understanding and appreciation for Chicago’s fancy restaurants, five months of mostly-fun memories and a reaffirmation that normal is nearly impossible to find. I’m accepting applications.
6. Double Swenson’s Day. It happened. It was amazing. I ran 6 miles the next day.
7. Committed dating suicide and got Moxie (my 16-pound cat/tiger) a trainer to help her shed half her body weight in fat. The trainer took the form of a 3-month-old kitten named Smidget…. Or Little Mox, Little One, Get the $%# off the curtains!, etc. Cue the cat lady joke. If I even start talking about getting a third cat, I completely expect a full-on intervention.
8. Summer. It actually arrived in Chicago this year. Joined a new beach volleyball team, hosted 4th of July party, watched the air show, rode a wine-o-wagon, attended fabulous weddings, went to my first Lollapalooza. Loved life.
9. Completed the Chicago Super Mini Triathlon (emphasis on Super and Mini) in August with my friend Joanna under the training of Coach Jake.
10. Discovered the Chicago VFW Post #7579. Sang karaoke until way past my bedtime, ate pizza supplied by the 100-year-old receptionist and obtained the official door code. Made unforgettable memories and a handful of retired military friends.

Happy Holidays! May 2011 try to top 2010 – or at least put up a good fight to match its madness.

2 comments:

Katie Reed on December 16, 2010 at 3:54 PM said...

OUTSTANDING!!!!!!

Aiden Lukasz Nosol on January 16, 2011 at 6:55 PM said...

Hey, Colleen! What's your book about? I wrote a book in 2008 and loved the writing process. I'm working on two more books (when I have time, of course--in between taking care of Aiden and going to school--you know, that's life). I'd love to hear about your book sometime. I write so much and it's nice to have another friend who loves writing like me. :) Hope 2011 is even better than your 2010!

My Peeps

 

A Sip of the Second City Copyright © 2009 Cosmetic Girl Designed by Ipietoon | In Collaboration with FIFA
Girl Illustration Copyrighted to Dapino Colada